Image from Amazon
Backpack style diaper bags are perfect for parents because they free up your arms to allow you to focus on your little ones and they’re much better for your spine health than lugging around a heavy bag on your shoulder. Whether you have one kid or twins, take short- or long-day trips, or need a diaper bag for both mom and dad to use, the best backpack diaper bag is functional and stylish.
5 out of 5 stars
4.9 out of 5 stars
4.8 out of 5 stars
4.7 out of 5 stars
4.6 out of 5 stars
4.5 out of 5 stars
4.4 out of 5 stars
4.3 out of 5 stars
4.2 out of 5 stars
4.1 out of 5 stars
4 out of 5 stars
3.9 out of 5 stars
3.8 out of 5 stars
How We Chose Our Ratings
No matter if mom or dad plans to use the bag or you want something no one can tell is a diaper bag, backpacks are the way to go. The following top 13 best backpack diaper bags are versatile, flexible, and offer enough pockets to find what you need in a second flat.
Top 13 Best Diaper Bags for Any Occasion
The best diaper bag for any occasion will offer versatility while remaining able to hold everything both parents and young children need on-the-go. The right bag for your needs will depend on how much space you need, without weighing you down.
5 out of 5 stars
- Microfiber: 100% polyester; Satin lining: 100% nylon satin
- Machine Washable….Air Dry!
- Product Dimensions:14"W x 12"H x 6.5"D. Teflon treated outer fabric so that stains don’t stick and Agion treatment protects the inner lining by inhibiting the growth of odor-causing bacteria, mold and mildew
- Metal Hardware….don’t trust any of the cheap plastic stuff
- Smart Pockets….inside organization includes 4 gusseted pockets, 3 zippered pockets, 2 exterior 3M Thinsulate bottle pockets, Mommy pocket, quick reach pocket for cell phone, and lots of wide open space inside the bag
- Lifetime Limited Warranty against Manufactured defects when purchased from a Ju-Ju-Be Authorized Seller. Please review Ju-Ju-Be Authorized Seller list shown in product images before purchasing
- Machine Washable .. air dry.
- Teflon fabric protector .. helps repel stains.
- AgION treatment protects the liner by inhibiting the growth of odor-causing bacteria, mold and mildew
- 2 exterior insulated bottle pockets . with Thinsulate by 3M. Keep it warm? Keep it cold? Sure!
- Full zip-down front mommy pocket holds keys (stretch key fob) and sunglasses (cleans lenses too!) with plenty of room for more!
A fully convertible diaper bag, this option is both a backpack and a handbag. It’s created by a well-known and loved brand in childcare products, and the polyester fabric is coated to resist stains, mold, and bacteria. It’s machine washable as well. Although the floral print probably won’t be adored by many dads, Ju-Ju-Be offers other prints and great diaper backpacks similar to this one.
For babies, the diaper bag comes with smartly designed pockets, some zippered and two insulated pockets on the exterior for bottles or sippy cups. A mommy pocket holds your keys, wallet, sunglasses, and cell phone where you can reach them quickly, and it fully zips down so you can find what you need.
4.9 out of 5 stars
- 100% Polyester
- 12 pockets
- Stroller loops
- Insulated bottle pocket
A highly affordable option with tons of storage compartments and ultimate organization, this large backpack is perfect for large families or long trips. There are 12 pockets, each designed to allow you to find what you need in a hurry, and it holds a hard wipe case that separately pops open when you need it and insulated pockets for bottles. Carry anything and everything, and zip down the top to find it all fast.
The downside is that this bag is heavy before you pack it full, and it can hold a lot. However, the shoulder straps are even padded, and it comes with stroller loops to allow you to hang the bag if you get tired of carrying it.
4.8 out of 5 stars
- LARGE SIZE - The main compartment is large enough to fit extra clothing, toys, and blankets for not only one, but TWO kids if needed. Also features a padded hydration bladder or laptop pocket that doubles as a great place to store your tri-fold tactical diaper changing mat to make life easier for the tactical dad OR tactical mom.
- BABY WIPE POCKET - The top outside pocket features an easily accessible, yet concealed, and integrated baby/wet wipe holder which fits most standard size baby wipe packs. The bottom outside pocket contains storage and organization for all needed smaller items such as pens, notepads, electronics, keys, ointments, pacifiers, etc…
- STROLLER STRAPS - Top stroller straps allows you to hook the bag to your stroller helping keep your hands free when needed. Comfort is achieved through the contoured shoulder straps and back padding which has mesh foam cushions and a vented air design with a waist belt and sternum strap for heavy loads.
- DIAPER CHANGING MAT - The large diaper changing mat is big enough to not only protect your baby when they are newborn, but also when they grow into the toddler stage as well.
- LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY - Our products have been tested and evaluated beyond the normal rigors of a diaper bag by members of the United States Military in urban and field and tactical environments. It is our goal to provide you durable products that will stand the test of time regardless of the situation in which you may find yourself.
This super large backpack can hold everything you need for not one by two kids at least. It’s exceptionally built to last and designed in a manly military style that shows you’re a parent who’s not messing around. Created by a veteran owned company, this diaper backpack is functional above all else. There’s a pocket for everything, a padded section for a laptop, and a tri-fold changing pad. Everything on this bag can wipe clean, and there’s even a lifetime warranty.
4.7 out of 5 stars
- PERFECTLY SIZED: Our Lighten Up Just Right Backpack measures 11 x 15 x 6 inches with 31 inch padded adjustable strap and featuring 2 zippered exterior pockets, 2 side slip pocket, and zippered main compartment
- RAIN OR SHINE: The Lighten Up Just Right Backpack is water-repellent, so no worries about your belonging getting soggy in the rain after you get off the plane
- HANDY SLIP POCKETS: Keep your hands free with these 2 outer slip pockets, perfect for water bottles and coffee containers on the go
- READY FOR ADVENTURE: Whether you are finishing up your high school years, starting your first semester in college, or just need something to take with you to the office everyday the Lighten Up Just Right Backpack is your adventure companion
- HERE AT VERA BRADLEY: We believe that beauty is to be celebrated in all we do with our innovative brand and enduring products - from rich and refined to spacious, stylish, and road trip ready
With various unique designs and prints available, Vera Bradley backpacks are popular among moms because they offer compartment space and they’re water-repellent. There are pockets for drinks, zippered interior pockets, and side slip pockets, as well as a main compartment divider. Rain or shine, long vacation or short trip to the store, this diaper bag has your back.
4.6 out of 5 stars
- TREND SETTING ORGANIZATION SYSTEM: Fisher Price's trademarked Fastfinder pocket system was designed by parents for parents. Each bag has thoughtful organizing features and handsfree accessible pockets throughout.
- FASTFINDER LABEL SYSTEM: Fisher Price's innovative system keeps key items conveniently organized and at arms reach, with easy-to-find labels (diapers, wipes, pacifiers, etc.)
- ACCESSORIES: Each bag comes equipped with a changing pad, our easy to access wipes case, and adjustable, padded shoulder straps and back panel for added comfort and convenience
- DURABLE + CLEAN: Four plastic feet on the bottom of your bag helps to keep it clean and helps eliminate picking up extra germs while on the go; preserving the life of your bag
- PERFECT GIFT: These bags have truly thought of everything for that new baby (and new parent). Fisher Price backpack diaper bags are a smart choice for baby showers, Christmas, birthday or any occasion. Fisher price is a name trusted by parents all over the world
Sporty and active families love this Fisher-Price backpack because each pocket is easy to access and designed to allow you to find them quickly. It comes with an exterior wipe compartment, a changing pad, adjustable and padded shoulder straps, and smart pockets throughout. You can wipe it clean, and there are little feet at the bottom to keep your bag from resting on the dirty floor.
4.5 out of 5 stars
- FASHION - Grey Heather flannel look fabric with Olive Green Accents
- CONVENIENCE - Top Carry Handle with Adjustable Shoulder Straps and Stroller Loops
- STORAGE- Spacious Main Compartment with multiple interior and exterior pockets for all of mom's/ dad's and baby's needs
- EXTRAs - Wipes Storage Dispenser, Changing Pad and Insulated Bottle Pocket
A well-loved brand, Eddie Bauer manufactured this backpack to hold a lot of stuff. It offers more space than most and has multiple pockets to hold all your needs. The straps are padded, and it comes with a handle strap or stroller loops for alternative carrying options. There’s a changing pad, insulated pocket, and wipe dispenser, and you’ll never even guess it’s a diaper bag.
Although, this option has been discontinued because it is bulky to carry.
4.4 out of 5 stars
- Lifetime Warranty
- Backpack-style diaper bag
- 13 easy-access compartments for organization
- Includes stroller straps, changing pad, padded straps
- Great gift for new and expecting dads
Dads love this brand’s backpacks because they’re simplistic yet smart. The pockets are extra deep and placed strategically to save you time searching for things. You can carry two bottles, and the 13 pockets options can even hold the added stroller straps and a washable changing pad that comes with the bag. The straps are padded for your comfort, and it’s durable enough for long-term use.
The best part about this backpack is that it doesn’t even look like a diaper bag, and the dad-friendly styling is appealing even to moms. It’s designed to appear like a clamshell, so you never need to dig to the bottom to find what you’re after. This diaper backpack is a time saver great for everyday use or long excursions with the whole family.
4.3 out of 5 stars
- Outside fabric: 100% Coated Polyester, 100% Polyurethane
- SUPER SPACIOUS: The super spacious interior of the bag features four large slip pockets that are great for helping you to keep things organized.
- USE IT YOUR WAY: Versatility is the name of the game with this diaper bag; wear it as a backpack or carry as tote and choose between a variety of styles for the look that’s right for you.
- EASY ACCESS: With 10 pockets total, including plenty of easy access exterior pockets, there’s room for everything both you and baby need while on the go.
- ALL INCLUSIVE: Diaper bag comes complete with a removable padded shoulder strap, no-slip grips for attaching to stroller, and a coordinating wipeable changing pad.
- HIDEAWAY STRAPS: The backpack straps easily tuck out of the way when you want to wear the bag messenger style with the shoulder strap.
Know for their simple patterns, JJ Cole’s backpack diaper bag comes in a variety of prints or colors and is highly functional and durable. For an affordable price, it’s well made. Plus, you can use it as a backpack, tote, or messenger bag thanks to the convertible straps. The fabric is polyester coated for added protection, and the interior is spacious enough to hold everything you need. It has 10 pockets across the interior and exterior, and most of them have zippers to keep your things in place.
4.2 out of 5 stars
- Durable Product
- Adjustable straps and a convenient top handle
- Material Type: Lightweight durable fabric
- Two insulated bottle pockets and zippered flap pocket
A sleek, black backpack, the Skip Hop Chelsea is made with faux-leather, so fashionista moms don’t need to sacrifice style for function. This bag doesn’t even look like a diaper bag, but it offers enough storage space and pockets for all your stuff. It’s a city-inspired design, with adjustable straps and a lightweight fabric, and it has insulated pockets for two bottles and multiple, versatile compartments. You may even be able to use this backpack after your kids are well in elementary school!
4.1 out of 5 stars
- Man Made
- Strap Drop: Removable strap has a drop of 22.5 inches and a length of 51 inches inches; Pockets: 4 slip, 1 zip, 6 exterior; includes changing pad
This large bag is fashionable and comes in 10 different prints. It may look like a normal backpack, but it holds 5 interior pockets, two exterior bottle pockets, two more interior bottle pockets, and four compartments to organize your and your kids’ things. The fabric is coated for easy cleanup if there’s a spill inside or out. The changing pad is even removable for easy cleanup, and the straps can alter to allow you to wear it crossbody as well.
4 out of 5 stars
- Dimension: 11.7"Lx7.8"Wx15.6"H Weight: 1.5 lbs lightweight diaper bag, made of polyester, easy to clean.
- Fully-opened let you clearly see everything in your baby bag for getting things easier.
- Two stroller hooks make you hang neatly on a stroller for on-the-go convenience.
- Two insulated size pockets keep your feeding bottles warm and fresh.
- Well-Padded shoulder strap and back panel help to distribute the weight more evenly and prevent from tiredness.
Made using polyester, this bag is lightweight and easy to clean. It can zip completely open to reveal the contents of your bag. It saves you time searching for what you need, while the various pockets organize your things and secures them with zippers. There are extra-wide and padded shoulder straps perfect for heavy loads or long trips, and this backpack has an ingenious back compartment for your essentials. It holds everything, and even offers insulated bottle pockets to keep drinks just the right temperature.
3.9 out of 5 stars
- Lifetime Warranty:Good baby shower choose with many pockets(inside pockets,side pockets,etc)
- Diaper Bag Dimension: 11.8×7.1×16.5 inch, 21L,14 Organizer Compartments,Roomy enough for moms & daddy & babysitter carrying baby's accessories, suitable for shopping, restaurant, traveling also gift ideas for baby shower and pefect for new parents new mom
- Multi-functional Pockets: A side dedicated WIPES POCKET& 2 side INSULATED POCKETS for Milk Bottles, Water Bottle, Breast Milk Bottle & 2 front zippered pockets for Mom's easy access necessities & Main COMPARTEMNT for baby's clothes, shoes and snacks,including a zippered net compartment for towel and diaper,2 side pockets for bottles,a mesh pocket for nipple,large compartment for laptop
- Convenient and Handsfree: A CHANGING PAD included, 2 STROLLER STRAPS can fix the bag to stroller for on-the-go convenience
- Anti theft and Safe: Large main pocket Heavy duty DUAL METAL ZIPPERS keep parents valuable things safe when taking care of baby
- Comfortable Carrying: Easy-tote top handle & Back Ergonomic design & Thick padded shoulder straps bring you a comfortable carrying
Highly affordable and durable, this high-quality bag won’t break the bank. It’s made from a waterproof nylon fabric that’s designed to last a seriously long time, and the bag itself is perfect for all seasons. The straps are reinforced, and the backing is cushioned for your comfort, and it comes with many upper scale features like stroller straps, a changing pad, or a zipper that completely opens.
For baby, you have 14 compartments. They’re each optimized for sleek organization, and it includes two insulated bottle pockets on the side for bottles or sippy cups and has a dedicated place for easy-access wipes. Use this diaper backpack for years to come, as it even comes with a lifetime warranty.
3.8 out of 5 stars
- What's in the box - 1 Diaper Bag; Size: 10.6 x 8.3 x 16.5 inch, Weight: 0.65 kg.
- Always use the Material of the best Quality - Using high quality durable oxford fabric water resistant and easy to wipe clean, don't afraid the milk/water spill on the bag.
- Large Capacity - Large main compartment, separate storage pockets include insulated pockets & wet clothes pocket, you can put milk bottle, water bottle, clothes, diaper, towel, etc in different separate pockets.
- Multi Function - You can use this bag as backpack and handbag. It is very elegant and suitable for many occasion like shopping, traveling etc.
- After-sales Service - Quality problems occur within one year replacement, lifetime warranty, if you're not completely satisfied, then CONTACT US and we will give you a 100% refund within 90 days of purchase. It is our intention to offer the BEST customer service on Amazon.
Made with a PU leather, HaloVa is a stylish, durable, waterproof, and skin-friendly option. This backpack is large enough to hold and organize all your necessities, yet it’s lightweight to protect your shoulder. You can open the bag a full 90-degrees to find what you need, and you can even adjust the bag to wear it as a crossbody or hang it from your stroller.
However, this backpack may not offer enough space for multiple children, and some users found the bag bulky and awkward to carry.
Backpack Diaper Bag Buyer’s Guide
Image from Amazon
With more options comes a more difficult choice. You need a diaper bag that looks and feels great if you want to carry it around for years to come. And if you want to use it for all your children or share it between parents, it needs to be well-liked by the entire family.
To find the best diaper bag for you, think about how you plan to use the bag, what you’ll hold, and where you often go. Backpacks are great for travel, so many parents opt for a larger backpack for travel rather than for everyday use. However, they’re popular among both moms and dads for their space and versatility. Plus, they’re great at protecting your shoulders and back from the pain of lugging around too much weight. Here’s what you need to consider:
Think about all the day trips and nights out you plan to take with your kids. The thing that makes backpack diaper bags so great is the added functionality they offer. They’re useful for travel, trips to the zoo, or just everyday commute to and from home for a single reason: pockets. You won’t want to carry the baby, a purse, and a diaper bag, so you’ll need pockets to store your cell phone, keys, and wallet along with your baby’s essential items such as:
- 1-2 bottles
- 3-4 wipes
- 1-2 pacifiers
- 1-2 toys
- Rash cream
- A change of clothes
- A hat
- Burp cloths
- A bib
When you consider anything else you may need on a daily basis, the amount of stuff floating around your diaper bag can make it difficult to find what you need. The best diaper bag will have enough pockets to help you organize each item so you can find what you need in a pinch.
Some diaper bags ingeniously think through the placement of each pocket, optimizing the placement for ease, comfort, and quickness. You may see pockets for specific purposes, such as insulated pockets designed to hold a sippy cup or bottle. Others will offer various pockets in unexpected places such as the changing pad to hold items like diapers and wipes right where you need them.
Convertible Backpack Bags
Unlike traditional backpacks, convertible bags can switch between a backpack and another style. This allows you to use one bag for both parents with more options to choose from. Mom can use the bag as a purse, then dad can add on the adjustable straps to convert the bag to a backpack.
These hybrid bags, however, tend to hold less than traditional diaper backpacks, which offer more pockets for organization. Purse hybrid diaper bags allow you to hide the fact you’re carrying a diaper bag and often come in more expensive fabric such as vegan leather or a chic print. They’re also great in that you don’t have to purchase two bags: one for special events and another more functional bag.
Men’s Diaper Backpacks
Whether you plan to share a diaper bag between partners or are a single father, all dads need a say in the diaper bag too. Childcare goes both ways, and many dads don’t want to carry around a diaper bag that looks like a purse or is printed with baby animals. Men tend to value function over all else, so many diaper backpacks targeted toward dads look like regular backpacks and place pockets just where you need them to optimize the time you spend searching for a diaper.
Many parents who share a diaper bag will look for detachable and adjustable straps, a solid color, and removable pockets that allow them to transfer their belongings quickly. However, men often care less about the weight of the bag if they’re the heavy lifter in the family.
Space to Grow
If you plan to have more than one child or are expecting twins, you’ll need a backpack diaper bag that can take care of your needs plus all the kids. This means you may carry a lot more items at any given time and need to double the above-mentioned baby items. A larger sized bag or one that offers two insulated pockets for a bottle and a sippy cup are ideal.
Many parents like to purchase a diaper bag they can use for all their children, whether you have them close in age or space it out. A backpack is versatile enough for all age groups, and you may even be able to use the bag after your kids are grown, depending on the durability.
Other Important Things to Consider
With so many choices on the market, selecting the right diaper bag for you can come down to a few important factors. You want to find a style or print you’ll enjoy for a long time, but it also needs to function well for your needs.
The size of your diaper bag is vital, no matter what style you choose. You need a bag that offers enough space to hold all your needs without weighing down your spine or making you feel like you have too much space as your baby grows. You also need to think about what you normally carry with you, as some items like a breast pump take more space than others. Stuffed bags are bigger.
The size of the changing pad is another feature to notice. It needs to be a large enough size for your child for however long you plan to use it, so think about the future. However, the bag shouldn’t be too large for you. If it gets in your way or constricts your movements, it’s not the diaper bag for you.
How much the bag weighs is important for your spine health, as added weight can cause pain and other problems if you carry a heavy bag every day. Backpacks, luckily, are the best when it comes to protecting your body from the weight you carry around, but they’re also larger and can come in heavy fabrics that are too much when filled. Make sure you feel comfortable carrying the bag around for at least 10-20 minutes at a time, or you can look for a bag that’s under 3 pounds without anything in it.
You can buy a colorful bag to show off your personality or select a trendy, sophisticated color. Many parents, especially dads, look for a diaper bag that appears more like a normal backpack, and other parents select black because it never goes out of style and works well between genders. Whatever you choose, make sure you’ll enjoy looking at it for the next 3 years or so.
The fabric of your diaper bag may determine how long you’re able to use it, and some fabrics are heavier to carry than others. When it comes to finding a durable option you can use for a long period of time, look for a waterproof or easy to clean fabric. Some bags offer glaze or coating on the outside for more protection, and others may feature lighter colors on the interior to help you find what you need quickly. Teflon-coated nylon, for example, is lightweight and machine washable.
Nylon and cotton blends are great because they’re lightweight and durable. They’re often easy to clean, and you can either hand wash, spot clean, or machine wash them depending on the brand and the coating that may be used. Glazed or coated canvas is another popular choice in diaper bags because they’re highly durable, but they can be heavier.
Vegan leather is another trendy and stylish fabric commonly used on backpacks today, and it’s a great alternative to the more expensive real leather. This fabric feels like leather, but it is lighter and easy to wipe clean. Look for a stiff, high-quality vegan leather to ensure it doesn’t peel.
Out of all the various styles of diaper bags, the backpack tends to offer comfortable straps. They allow you the hands-free availability you need to take care of your baby, and they evenly distribute the weight across your body. Many straps offer padding or securely stay in place for your convenience, but you may also find diaper backpacks with adjustable or detachable straps to offer more versatility.
Although most diaper bags range from $30-$100 on average, any diaper bag priced over $100 is considered a premium or designer bag. While there are some great stylish choices available, there are also plenty of decent bags priced under $50 that can work just as well. No matter what your budget is, make sure you pay a fair price for a durable diaper bag to ensure it lasts. The right choice could last you from the time your child is a newborn until after toddler age, with the right care.